By Amelia Smith
Winter brings along a host of hair problems with it chilly days. Once the temperature starts to dip, dry scalp and hair loss become a common problem. The weather, combined with other factors such as stress, poor eating habits, unhealthy lifestyles, and lack of hair hygiene lead to several hair problems. Winters only escalate these problems. The lack of moisture in the air and cold temperature leads to problems such as itchy scalp, dandruff, dryness and a lot of hair fall. Knowing how to control hair fall in winter and to be prepared with preventive measures is a good way to jump start this season.
Read on for some tips to keep your hair healthy.
1. Eating Healthy: Healthy hair starts with a healthy diet. Having a balanced diet with plenty of vitamins and minerals is vital to keep winter hair problems at bay. A nutritious diet should have lots of fresh fruits, green vegetables, nuts and whole grains. One should avoid all forms of processed food. Sugary and fatty foods should be kept to a minimum. These are some dietary tips to reduce hair loss in winter.
2. Preventing Dandruff: Dandruff is one of the top causes of hair loss. Dry scalp in turn causes hair fall. Hence, one of the best tips to reduce hair loss in winter is to use an anti-dandruff hair cleanser on a regular basis. Those who are not suffering from dandruff problems can also use an anti-dandruff cleanser as a preventative measure.
3. Gentle Combing: The hair is prone to a lot of dryness and damage during the cold days of winter. This is the result of the drastic drop in moisture levels in the air. Hence, one needs to be as gentle as possible with their hair. Combing should be done only when necessary, and in a very gentle manner.
4. Wearing the hair loose: To reduce hair fall in winter, it is important to keep from tying the hair too tight. Tight braids and ponytails lead to hair fall. Hence, hair should be worn loose, even during the night when going to bed.
5. Treating hair with hot oil: Hot oil treatments not only help reduce hair fall in winter but also nourish the hair, boosting growth. Applying warm coconut or olive oil to the scalp and the strands of the hair is a good way of taking care of hair. Hot oil treatment should be taken on a weekly basis to achieve good results.
6. Applying hair masks: Avocado masks can really help in reducing hair fall as avocados are rich in vitamins, minerals and vital nutrients. Avocados provide nourishment to the hair and combat dryness. A hair mask can be prepared from mashed avocados and applied to the hair. The mask should be left for around 45 to 50 minutes and then washed off. This should be repeated once every week. The same hair treatment can be carried out with a hair mask containing mashed avocados along with bananas.
From healthy eating habits to oil treatments, here are some ways to reduce hair fall.
Author bio: Amelia Smith is nutritionist, herbalist, health and fashion writer. She is a professional in the health, nutrition and diet industry.
Beauty & Beyond says:Thank you very much Amelia for your helpful tips. I am sure everyone will now know how to get lustrous hair during the cold season.